Inc. (NASDAQ:INET) based in Los Angeles, California recently announced its expansion into careers with the acquisition of 10 niche career sites with an emphasis on community and social networking. The company’s consumer Internet division now
operates in five verticals, including auto, careers, home, shopping,
and travel and leisure.
The company seems to have a well-thought-out strategy of focusing on employment niches that
- have persistent labor shortages (such as nursing,
hospital jobs, certain types of aviation workers, or truck drivers), or
- careers that are self-directed or self-employed (such as freelancers or
work-at-home jobs) and
- high growth employment markets that are always active
Bob Brisco, CEO of Internet Brands says
"We operate in precise, niche markets with high user and advertiser
demand. We believe that the Internet employment market is evolving
toward high-engagement sites that deliver value in addition to job
listings, such as community interaction, insider-type information, and
the ability to review work portfolios."
But, it takes more than sharp strategy. Just this morning I read a great headline (reminding me of all the entrepreneurs I’ve seen acquired and silenced) in this business that says "Big companies are where small companies go to die" Here’s hoping their execution is as good as their planning!
…and the career sites acquired are:
- AirlinePilotCentral.com, a leading career community for airline pilots, with a focus on career planning and salary information.
- AviationEmployment.com, an employment listings site focusing on global aviation and aerospace employment opportunities.
the leading online source for trucking employment opportunity listings
in North America and the largest community site for truck drivers.
a site that brings together job seekers and employers from across the
medical and healthcare spectrum, including medical doctors.
a leading portfolio and directory site for freelancer workers such as
graphic designers, computer developers, and business consultants.
- ModelMayhem.com, the leading portfolio website for models, photographers, makeup artists, hair stylists, and other modeling
- NursingJobs.org, a leading nursing employment opportunity job board with listings from across the United States.
(The Professional Pilots Rumour Network), a community site for aviation
professionals from around the world to discuss all aspects of their
careers. PPRuNe.org was formerly part of the Company’s Travel and
Leisure division. The Company acquired this website in 2007.
a law enforcement career resource and community site offering career
opportunity listings, officer training information, and career support
- WAHM.com (Work At Home Moms), the leading
resource for work at home employment, featuring work at home and
home-based business opportunity listings and a community discussion
I already know a good number of recruiters that have started job
boards and social networking career sites – I have a feeling that there are
hundreds that I don’t know about hard at work on their own beta sites. This news will undoubtedly launch 1,000 more! So, hold on to your seats everyone.